Unlike the Gulab Jamun Cheesecake recipe I’d shared earlier, this Ras Malai Cake doesn’t have any ras malai tucked into it. Instead, \this one uses the concept of a ‘ras malai’ and adapts it to a cake. The cake, is a sponge cake, sliced in half and brushed with a milk syrup and frosted with a mascarpone frosting. Guess what? I snuck some of the frosting between the layers too – it’s the sort of decision you just know I would share with you after loads of deliberation and testing, right? Melissa Clark from The New York Times, came up with this recipe for a friend’s birthday, and it only seems apt for me to share with you. I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately – while my recipes and stories are for you, this isn’t a one-way street around here. Three-and-half years in this little nook of mine on the internet have made me hone my recipe testing and developing skills, and meticulously measure every little ingredient before sharing with you.
Coming back to this recipe for Ras Malai Cake, I’ve got a few things for you to keep in mind-
– Start with the milk syrup, you’ll need to let it cool down before you use it
– If you find the batter for the cake curdling while you add the wet ingredients, add a tablespoon or so of all-purpose flour and whisk the batter, you’ll see the curdling disappear
– We don’t usually have cake flour at home, check the recipe to see how you can make it for this cake
– No when you beat the mascarpone, make sure it’s cold, or it will curdle, and I don’t have a solution to fix that!
– Keep this cake refrigerated, otherwise you’ll have messy, puddle-y situation at hand
I can’t help but think that I’ve been bitten by a keen desire to experiment with East meets West sort of flavours over the last year or so. ‘Fusion’ seems like a word that belongs in the ‘90s, so I’m going to steer clear of it. I’ve experimented with some Mithai Cupcakes, an easy baked version of Samosas with Filo Pastry, Chocolate Nankhatai and Gulab Jamun Cheesecake(no mascarpone, cream cheese, eggs or gelatin here!) and some more coming up really soon! Anything on your wish list that I can help you with?